Saturday, July 9, 2011

Kale flavor blast salad


Hello all! I am officially back in action! I have been rather preoccupied with work, classes at Salem State, buying a house, etc. I'm glad it's summer though! Expect some vegetarian recipes as I have decided to become a vegetarian for a month (or more...we'll see how it goes). Salads seem to be a large component of vegetarian diets, so my first post is a salad. The base is kale (an acquired taste for many). It is easy to make with about 10 minutes prep time.

Ingredients:
Salad:
-2 cups chopped kale
-1 large sliced red bell pepper
-1 serving sliced baby carrots (approx. 10-14 carrots)
-1 chopped granny smith apple
-1 100 calorie bag almonds (flavored or not)

Dressing:
-1 tbs honey
-2 tbs lemon juice
-1 tsp olive oil


Directions:
-Rinse all vegetables and fruit
-Chop all vegetables and fruit
-Combine all in a medium-sized bowl
-Add almonds
-In a separate cup, combine honey, lemon juice, olive oil
-Pour over vegetable/fruit mix and eat!

Nutrition:
-calories: 435, carbs: 76g, protein: 9.6g, fat: 14g, sat. fat: 1.2g, sodium: 146mg, fiber: 15.7g, sugar: 46g

Comments:
You can add/subtract whichever fruits/veggies you like. You can also experiment with different spices. I like the kale base because it has more nutritional value than lettuce, but feel free to use what you like!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! What is your reasoning behind the vegetarian diet? Health? Environment? Moral (no more dead animals)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question! It's kind of hard to answer though. This is something that has been brewing for a while.

    I was mostly vegetarian last summer when I first began my healthy lifestyle kick. I ventured away from it, but after reading Jonathan Saffran Foer's Eating Animals, I have decided to begin again in earnest. Basically, unless you actually go to a local farm that doesn't use any artificial treatments and lets its animals live in more than just tiny cages, you aren't getting 'humane' meat. That bothers me.

    I admit to being a bit of a hypocrite here though...I waited until after July 4 weekend because I do still enjoy meat very much.

    I have a list of 30 things I want to try before I turn 30 and being a vegetarian is on there. I think there are plenty of tasty meals out there without meat in them and I'm determined to find them! I also desperately need to get on the healthy lifestyle kick again.

    So I suppose that's the long-winded answer to your question. :-). I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews